Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Flash Fiction - I'm Leaving

My arm stopped moving in mid-air. The tea spoon clattered onto the kitchen floor, and I dropped the teapot. I heard it smash and saw the broken pieces scatter around my feet.

"You said what?"

"I love her Amy," Dave repeated. "I'm leaving you and the kids."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. As if I was paralysed, I watched Dave pick up his travelling bag and walk out, closing the front door quietly. I hated that. I wished he had slammed the door. That would have given me some sense of finality.

I crumpled in a heap.

(c) TP 2009

12 comments:

  1. I hate it when marriages break up, but sadly, with the way we rush in, is it any wonder that we rush out as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believer1:36 pm

    You definitely got me hooked!!! Great start

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:15 pm

    Hmmm, the decision to leave was (definitely) not an on the spot one. 'twas allowed to breed slowly (& progressively) by the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice read...hey thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. Is it part of something you are working on?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comments everyone!

    @Nnamdi: It was an experiment to write something under 100 words :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful..short but spoke volumes..hope u got an A+

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is short but it speaks volume of surprise heart ache and rejection

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow!! pretty good, i felt it

    ReplyDelete
  10. A snapshot of a moment in time with all the pungency of heartbreak and a parting. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. cleopatra9:08 am

    more than 100 words can be used to describe how awesome that story was. great read!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments! Thank you.